File this under “highly important tech innovation we may have all missed out on”. The USB 3.0 Promoter Group (great name by the way) has announced an upgrade to SuperSpeed USB 3.0 at this years CES. The reason we’re so excited? The upgrades mean data transfer speeds of up to 10GB, which is double the current speed of 5GB. Here’s the full and updated SuperSpeed USB 3.0 rundown:
- New 10 Gbps USB data rate
- Compatibility with existing cables and connectors
- Improved data encoding for more efficient data transfer leading to higher through-put and improved I/O power efficiency
- Compatible with existing USB 3.0 software stacks and device class protocols
- Compatible with both existing 5 Gbps and new 10 Gbps USB 3.0 hubs and devices, as well as USB 2.0 products
Look for the new and upgraded SuperSpeed USB 3.0 to become the new norm from the middle of 2013.