• BURN MEDIA
    • Memeburn
      Tech-savvy insight and analysis
    • Motorburn
      Because cars are gadgets
    • Ventureburn
      Startup news for emerging markets
    • Jobsburn
      Digital industry jobs for the anti 9 to 5!

New iPhone available in South Africa July 20

tech journalist and Stuff Magazine editor Toby Shapshak, Vodacom will be launching the new 3G iphone, also popularly know as the “iPhone 2.0”, on July 20.

Vodacom’s launch is part of a 10-country deal that Vodafone announced last month, confirming speculation over the iPhone announcement. The phone is purportedly slimmer and sleaker than the first generation iPhone. It also now apparently comes in three new colours. But, most importantly, it is a 3G phone. The first iPhone was hailed for breaking new paradigms with its sexy user interface, but — confusingly — was a mere tractor with only GPRS and Edge speeds. It was one heck of a beautiful tractor, but a tractor none-the-less.

Apple is expected to unveil the new iPhone later today, ending widespread speculation over its features. I’d like to see it come with GPS and slideout keyboard — but it is unlikely to have these features. The only absolute certainty is that it will be a faster, 3G phone. Let’s wait and see.

I think I’m going to gets me one.

Author Bio

Matthew Buckland
Matthew Buckland is a web guy who has over the years worked in a programming, editorial and business capacity within the online media environment. He now dedicates his life and soul to Creative Spark and Memeburn.com. He was previously General Manager of Publishing at news24.com, and then went... More

17 Comments

1. Cluckhoff

June 9, 2008 at 9:26 am

Excellent, can’t wait to get my hands on one. For once I’m glad to be a Vodacom user.

2. Cluckhoff

June 9, 2008 at 11:26 am

3. Wogan May

June 9, 2008 at 11:47 am

My ever-wise parents canceled my contract when still had an upgrade point available. I’ll just self-moderate my feelings on that one.

I’m more likely to spend money on the next-gen Sony Ericsson. Those phones just rock … *ducks from Nokia fans*

~ Wogan

4. Wogan May

June 9, 2008 at 9:47 am

~ Wogan

5. matt

June 9, 2008 at 10:39 am

@Cluckoff & @Wogan May — i’m a cell c user… I’m going to migrate across and keep my number … they allow you to do that now.

6. matt

June 9, 2008 at 12:39 pm

7. Henre

June 9, 2008 at 10:41 am

Fantastic, I have an upgrade due in August, so this couldn’t have come at a better time.

Still contemplating Nokia N95 8GB, but with these new players it will be an interesting choice.

Although, ideally, I’d love a slide out keyboard too.

HTC Diamond??

8. Henre

June 9, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Although, ideally, I’d love a slide out keyboard too.

HTC Diamond??

9. Colin Daniels

June 9, 2008 at 12:43 pm

… or you could all just wait for the new iPhone, buy it or have it sent from the States for cheaper, and stay on the network and package you’re already on?

10. Colin Daniels

June 9, 2008 at 2:43 pm

11. matt

June 9, 2008 at 12:55 pm

@colin… yeah but only one problem… Cell C only has edge… so to use 3G I’m going to have to move….

12. matt

June 9, 2008 at 2:55 pm

13. Pingback: matthewbuckland.com » The low down on the new iPhone 2.0

14. MadMapper

July 10, 2008 at 8:53 am

Matt… It looks like you’ll be getting your GPS wish, but I doubt that South African users are going to be too pleased about the navigation functionality (or lack of it in this country).

15. MadMapper

July 10, 2008 at 10:53 am

16. matt

July 10, 2008 at 10:12 am

@MadMapper — yeah was wrong on the GPS, along with many others 🙂 Don’t know how well you know this country but GPS works great here, altho of course there’s always room for improvement…. But we don’t exactly live in mud huts and ride on lions to work — I’ve had a GPS in my car for a while now and it works really well getting me from A to B.

17. matt